Friday, September 30, 2011

What I'm Eating

Apples don't fall far from the tree, except in the fall when the apples are all far from the trees and in the market!

I visited Chicago's Green City Market this week to enjoy the local bounty that the city has to offer.  There were apples stand after stand, but I stopped at this one because of the sheer variety.


I read all the descriptions and snapped a few pictures of the ones I chose so I wouldn't forget.
Pristine, Ginger Gold, Prairie Spy, Jonagold, Asian Pears
I realize that Asian pears are not actually apples.

Despite the wet and dreary weather (hats off to the farmers who stick it out all the time), I happily carried home a bag of mushrooms that taste like chicken, a grab bag of apples, and two pots of sage and thyme.

And then just like a local leaving the local market, I rode the bus home.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me: I need to put apple picking on the agenda this fall. Then I can get inundated with apples and have an excuse for eating cobblers and crisps for breakfast for at least two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what did you do with your chicken mushrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  3. april - i will show you! check out google+ in...3 minutes.

    fafner - apples! and apple dessert galore!!

    ReplyDelete