Thursday, February 7, 2013

AT in SG: A Quest for Kaya Toast


Kaya is coconut and pandan jam.  See that goopy green stuff she’s pouring into the bucket?  That’s kaya.

For kaya toast, they cut a piece of bread in half, spread kaya on it, then place thick pats of butter on top of the kaya for a crispy and creamy bite of joy.

I wanted it and I wanted to know which one was the best. In my limited time, I tried three popular chain’s kaya toasts.  I regret not trying Wang Something’s kaya toast in the airport.  Now I’ll never know how theirs ranks. 

Toast Box
Toast Box adds honey to their kaya.  In my opinion, the honey overpowers the coconut and pandan flavors and it just tastes like honey toast.  It was satisfying, but not exactly what I was looking for.  The peanut butter toast was fun.




Ya Kun Kaya Toast
Since Time Out Singapore listed this one as a top pick for kaya toast and since it’s named after kaya toast, I expected this one to be the best.  I was a little disappointed.  There wasn’t enough kaya in the toast for me to tell what the kaya itself actually tasted like.  I guess I should have expected this, the way you can be disappointed when “Quality Computers” are not very high quality after all.

Not to say I didn’t enjoy it.  The soft boiled eggs were very good. 

Coffee and Toast
Another establishment named after toast, this one was my favorite.  The toast is thin and crisp, they give a generous spread of coconutty kaya, and the butter plops round out the combination nicely.  I went back to Coffee and Toast for one last hurrah to solidify that it was the actual winner.  It was. 



No comments:

Post a Comment