Sunday, October 30, 2016

A Letter to Kendra

A dear friend from Austin show choir passed earlier this year. Her death was sudden and tragic, but she has beautiful family and friends who have honored her in wonderful ways. One way was to take her ashes to the west coast and read letters written by loved ones before sending her out to sea. I got to write her a letter to bid her farewell for now.

Dear Kendra,

How are you? We've missed you since you've been gone. As a believer in after-lives, I like to think that you're just onto many new and exciting adventures. You're probably singing even more now than you were before. Everyone there is really lucky.

But you're not here with us, and that makes us sad. I still can't believe you're gone, honestly. I also couldn't believe how hard I cried at your "Tribute to Kendra" party as I call it -- it's amazing that everyone you know also felt you were such a wonderful and strong, beautiful, spirited presence. I thought about how long I knew you, and it was only 2 short years there in Austin. But I realized that knowing you impacted me so much, more than I even realized.

I love your sparkly eyes and the bounce in your step. You're so energetic and cool like that.

I love how you're an "older" lady, AND you're just as silly as I am. I love seeing older people that are wonderful and energetic and cool and funny -- something I only realized is possible more recently.

I love that you're smart and unashamed to make your voice heard.

I love that you're patient and want to help people grow, at their own speed.

I love that you helped me choose my little Ohana ukulele. She sings for you.

I love that you were far more musically talented than any of us at show choir, but you never made us feel that way. You just wanted to sing and dance, and you let us come along for the show too.

I love that your husband loves you so much -- it's really cool to see a strong bond and deep love like that.

Thank you for being you.

I joined a karaoke league, and the league manager reminds me of you. She has curly hair, sparkly eyes, wears glasses, and obviously loves the silly in singing just like you. It makes me happy to see her and think of you while I get my weekly dose of mini-show-choir time.

We miss you a lot, and I hope the ocean takes care of your heart and your songs.  I'll think of you the next time I see the ocean.  Maybe you'll have the ocean wave back at me. ;)

See you soon, Dear Kendra.

With love,
Alexa

No comments:

Post a Comment