Wednesday, June 5, 2013

AT in JP: Building a Memory Pagoda

I recently learned about the method of building memory palaces to memorize anything and everything.  The general idea is that you assign each thing you want to memorize a specific physical place in a space that is very familiar to you.  Then, when you want to recall that thing, you simply visualize that space to remember where you put it.  “Aha!  Now I remember that Hans likes pudding cups because there he is – sitting in a giant pudding cup next to my living room coffee table.”

Or something like that.  Real memory athletes might say that my example reflects my poor memorization skills.

And they are probably right.  For the last 4 weeks, I have been trying to shove as much Japanese into my little brain as possible, and the construction of my Japanese memory palace is very behind schedule.  Perhaps it will become a richer habitat for information to dwell, but right now it just kind of looks like this.  The GM is updating his resume.

So basically, you can walk through my pagoda to eat, like, and go to/for/of/in the best popcorn in/to/for/of Japan.  Incidentally, that may be all I am supposed to do here.

No comments:

Post a Comment