Thursday, June 20, 2013

AT in JP: New Friends in New Places

I've learned that talking to strangers can be a good thing. All of the strangers I met in Japan were especially nice and helpful, even when I asked them questions and knew I wouldn't understand the answers. I think the Imperial Palace used to have another name. I think that word means humidity. Yes, I would like chopsticks.  Oh I guess I actually meant ice.

Some of the strangers I met became friends. 

Playground Pals
My childhood best friend and I started our friendship with a simple question: Can I play?

Much like this, I made a friend on my way to Japan in the airport.  I am going to Japan too!  It is also my first time!  Let’s meet up and go on adventures!  I also love to eat and convenience stores delight me too!

We went to Kamakura together and ventured up towards a temple her friend recommended.  Between the two of us, we overshot the temple we meant to visit and ended up at Kenchoji Temple instead.  It was a beautiful mistake though, and it felt like we were years away from busy Tokyo.

We forgot to take a picture together, so I drew one instead.

Strangers with Offal
My last night in Narita City, I decided to visit the tiny bar next to the train station because it was standing room only and there were no signs in English.

After some charades and creative Japanese, I ordered a couple steak skewers.  They were charred, salty and delicious.  Then the man next to me ordered something that looked like a stewed plate of offal.  I asked him what it was called, and he offered to let me have some.  I said, “Honto?” because I’d heard someone else say that earlier in the day in a similar situation.  He said, “Honto!” back so I guess it was appropriate.

It was awesome, and among my favorite things I ate while in Japan.  He showed me to add shichimi to make it extra tasty, and then we talked in broken Japanese and English.  I was not a United flight attendant.  Popcorn?  With a three hour wait?  People are crazy.  Narita is famous for its delicious melons.  He threw back his head to mimic the way I proclaimed “WA-termelon!” when I finally figured out what he was saying.  We exchanged meishi, business cards.  Maybe I will email him now.

Family Mart R Friends
I frequented Family Mart a lot.  I still catch myself singing the song that plays when you enter and exit.  My favorite Family Mart snack was the negi toro onigiri.  My favorite Family Mart friends were these.  Notice how diligently everyone held their poses through all 3 photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment