Friday, June 7, 2013

AT in JP: Nihongo sukoshi by sukoshi

I wish we could remember learning how to speak our first languages.  Life must have been terribly exciting then.  I made some noises and they understood me!

Today was a day of noise-making triumphs.

Triumph #1: Takushi ride
This was basically a 2 line conversation.  But he understood me the first time.

Triumph #2: Birdie birdie
I needed to get inside the outlet, but they have the entrance blocked before opening.  In my head, I thoughtfully explained to her that I was a manager and I needed to get inside. (I can't actually say most of that).  She made some bird noises back at me. So I repeated the exact same thing to her again.  Oddly enough, she repeated the same bird noises to me again.  I bet she's really into yakitori.

Triumph #3: Walk the line
I mustered up some courage to ask a lady how long she waited in the line.  She prattled off more information than I could process.  At the end, I excitedly chanted at her, "2 hours! Half? Half! 2 hours half! Thank you!"

She was nice.

Triumph #4: Meet in the middle
A nice colleague gave me a ride home.  His English is not so bad, and my Japanese is not so good.  We managed to have a pretty good conversation with a lot of inquisitive noises.  This picture summarizes our conversation.  It's a scary eel from Narita who is wearing a cast.


No comments:

Post a Comment