Thursday, June 13, 2013

AT in JP: Last Name First

Our Japanese colleagues let us call them by their first name vs the traditional way of addressing everyone by last name + san or some other respective ending.  I suppose it is their way of respecting us as Americans.  

I knew this was atypical for them, but I didn’t realize how strange it made them feel.  From what I gather, addressing someone by first name only is like calling them their pet name “Banana Booboo Buns” in public.

I had a meeting with another group my colleagues work with.  They tried to introduce themselves to me as Americans would. But every time they did, they turned to that person to quickly add, “Oh excuse me! Haha! I am sorry!” and bow a lot.  After the 3rd or 4th round of apologizing and bowing, I told them that it was fine for us to use last names.  Everyone felt a lot better after that.

In another instance, I sought out a friend’s friend at a local establishment.  I found a person who matched the description and I asked him if his name was Daisuke.  He stopped what he was doing and gave me a suspicious glance.  “Why do you ask?  And how do you know my name is Banana Booboo Buns?”

I learned a new vocabulary word that night: odorokimashita – surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment